Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight!


I am assuming that if you're reading this, you are with me on the whole Anti-Canned-Soup-As-Marinade thing. I do not cook with cans of Cream Of Anything, because it's disgusting. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. If you want to cook chicken with a mushroom and white wine cream sauce, use real mushrooms, real stock, white wine, fresh herbs, and finish w/ cream. Do not use a can of gelatinous gray goo.
DO NOT!

(Remember, I'm a foodie. I'm all for cooking on a budget, but I draw my lines where I choose. And I draw them at gray condensed soup.)

Also assuming you're not using this slightly less creepy jar of sauce/topping, which only may be slightly less creepy due to it's amusing nostalgia factor (I've never tasted it, but that effing commercial will be in your brain for years. YEARS!!!)

Anyhoo, tonight was yet another night w/ yet another order of bulk chicken breasts arriving this afternoon (bulk from a butcher, family-style. Not creepy odd-shape bulk in a sack.) and my regular go-to of fresh thyme, shallot & lemon finish was just not going to cut it.
Delicious, yes. But getting seriously redundant.

An obvious cure for the same old chicken dinner? Wrap those bad boys in some PROSCIUTTO!!!!
Everything is better with bacon. We all know this to be true. (Vegetarians can whine but if you've ever tasted it, you know you're a lyin' fool. Bajir, I know you feel me on this.) While bacon is fattier and fabulous in many, many, many ways, my cheat for that is to use prosciutto, or any other country's cured pork slices. So, wrap a boneless, skinless chicken breast in a slice of prosciutto and sauté both sides until browned and juicy. (You could get extra fancy, butterflying the breasts first and stuffing with any number of cheeses & greens, but tonight was simplicity.) This time I just accompanied with some baby carrots I roasted in the oven w/ some chicken broth & thyme (to recreate the roast-chicken effect) and called it done. And it was goooooooooooooooooooood!!!
 Sadly the above photo was stolen from some other website to give you an idea of what it looks like, finished product, because I KEEP FORGETTING TO TAKE PICTURES WHEN I COOK!!!!  I just want to get to the eating part. I shall endeavor to do better in the future. But in the mean time,
Buon Appetito!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If only someone made a non-pork prosciutto...I don't suppose they can get moving on that?