Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mac and Cheese Fake Out

 The "fake out" part being that I'm not actually going to tell you how I made the mac and cheese.
At least not specifics.

Last night I made what was possibly the least figure-friendly mac and cheese of my life. My arteries will never be the same. 
That is just the cheddar cheese. Helpfully grated by the hubs.
I wasn't even following a recipe. I just threw together a roux, added milk, cream, cheese (cheddar, gruyere, and a dollop of ricotta, just cuz) pancetta, bread crumbs and elbow macaroni, and hoped for the best.
And Oh My God was that stuff good.

But I'm not blogging about that, because I was doing it all very slapdash, and I'm trying to post more polished recipes. You know, where you measure stuff?

The one hint I will pass along is that, if your cheese sauce of cream, cheddar, and gruyere is tasting a bit too heavy, salty, or bitter, add the zest of half a lemon.
Once again, the real live lemon that does not come in a plastic container comes to the rescue.

On to the important stuff! The eagerly awaited Aerogarden update... photo taken on Day 5 and the sprouts are juuuuuust starting to be visible inside their pod. 
Right on schedule.
Probably another week before I need to remove the dome.

The excitement is KILLING you! 

And now you want mac 'n cheese/cheese.
Resist the Kraft.
Resist.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm...real mac and cheese. I usually add a little bit of a strong blue to the cheddar, but Gruyere sounds like an excellent idea. My husband thanks you for putting the idea in my head. :)

Jordan said...

awwwww! tiny sprout!

I LOVE MAC'N'CHEESE. I use my mothers recipe, I swear it is the best in the world.
Secret ingredients include mustard seed and love. I find it is best eaten on the couch, so directly after consumption I can place the bowl on the coffee table, fall over sideways and clutch my stomach for the remainder of the evening.

Erin said...

I spent 2 months this past fall obsessing over the perfect homemade mac n cheese and never found it. I did discover Thomas Jefferson "invented" it and dried mustard and tobacco sauce are essential. Also slapdash foods are usually the best. Needless to say I'm jealous of your creation :)