Monday, October 4, 2010

Heartier Asparagus Soup

It's October, it's been raining for the better part of a week+, and it's finally cool enough that I am anxiously awaiting the tell-tale hiss that means the radiators are turned on.
No such luck yet as I sit here in fuzzy socks and a hoodie. Indoors.
(I should really get the AC out of the window this week... and by "I" I mean wrangle the hubs.)

Remember a while back when I told you all about how asparagus is your liver's best friend, and I gave you a really basic version of asparagus soup, which I called Detox Soup?
Yeah, well, I made it tastier this time :)

It may not be the peak of asparagus season anymore, but if you live in a city, you can still find some decent looking bunches around.

For this soup I used/had on hand:
1 medium leek
1 small onion
1 large bunch of asparagus, trimmed
1 1/2 cups kale, stemmed and chopped (approx. amount)
1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled (you could use 2 for a much heartier soup)
3 medium cloves of garlic
2 TBSP fresh dill
1/2 parmigiano reggiano rind
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
olive oil
salt
I used this photo because my flash made a heart in the soup!
After doing all the dicing...
Sauté leeks and onion in olive oil until softened and a few begin to show brown bits.
Add asparagus, salt, and cook another 5-7 minutes until soft.
Add minced garlic cloves, cook 30 seconds, stir, and add the chopped kale.
Stir the kale into the mix until it begins to wilt, about a minute or two.
Deglaze pan with white wine and cook another minute or two.
Add potato, dill, and chicken stock.
Bring to a simmer, turn heat back to low, add the lid and allow to simmer about 35 minutes to meld flavors and cook the potato.
Take the soup off the heat and use an immersion blender to purée.
Note: If using a food processor, allow to cool a bit.

Check for seasoning (it WILL need salt!), garnish with more fresh dill, and enjoy a slightly heartier version of this asparagus soup.
I certainly did!

P.S. - Recently after making this soup I had to be out of town for a night or two, which means the hubs was up to his own devices for dinner. (Read - PB&J when he remembers to eat.) Imagine my surprise when he related to me that, well, yes, he had grabbed a fast food burger on his way home, but then he saw "the green soup in the fridge" and decided it must be healthy and that he should have some to off-set the burger he ate.
And you know what? He REALLY liked it!
Score another point for the Rock 'n Roll Gourmet.

No comments: