Monday, August 1, 2011

Turbot with Avocado Purée & Pineapple Salsa

OK, I have come up with the finishing element to round out my previously posted meal:
avocado purée.

1 ripe avocado, 2 TBSP fresh lime juice, 2 TBSP diced shallot or red onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 seeded jalapeño pepper, and salt to taste.
Place everything in a food processor and blend until smooth.
If your avocado is still a bit under-ripe, you can add 1 tsp of low-fat mayo or greek yogurt to help bring about a creamier consistency.

This meal was made with 2 rather huge turbot filets, which I seasoned with salt and a bit of chili powder before sautéing in a combination of butter and olive oil.

I had issues turning the huge filets over. 
So much for presentation.
I added a splash of white wine to the pan after turning the fish, for just a little extra touch of flavor in the fish itself.

As the side dish (tho the Hubs preferred it on top of his fish) I made what was almost my new favorite pineapple-mango salsa, except I didn't have any ripe mango, so it's just 1/3 of a cored pineapple with 1 seeded jalapeño, half a medium shallot finely diced, the juice of one lime, salt, and a little drizzle of agave.
It's best to let the shallot and jalapeño mellow in the lime juice and a couple pinches of salt while you dice up the pineapple, so they are not as sharp when bitten into.
This salsa is better if you make it a few hours ahead as well, so the flavors and juices can really combine.

Not-so-sexy shot of the avocado purée on the plate, awaiting the hot fish on top.
Drizzle any pan juices over the fish.

The richness and zing from the avocado purée is exactly what this meal was missing before. 
Fish with fruit salsa may be great hot weather food, and even diet food, but I needed a little something more substantial to round everything out, and I was quite pleased with this finished dish.
Try it out!



No comments: