Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Garlic Bean Steak Sandwich

This was immediately voted into regular meal rotation. It's delicious, it's filling, it's packed with protein and iron, and it's super easy to make.
All good things.

Looks like a lot, but really was not
This came about because I got a hanger steak (from my food delivery service) and it was barely .65lb of beef, which was just not going to be enough for the steak dinner for 2 I had planned. I had to come up with some way to stretch it out, and a peek in the fridge for leftovers was my answer.

Once again, the Garlic White Beans came to the rescue. I layered those on a toasted ciabatta roll (par-baked and kept in the freezer, they are ready to use in 20 minutes whenever I need them) and then layered the steak on top.
If you want to make this sandwich easier to eat you could mash or purée the white beans before slathering them on the toasted ciabatta.

The steak was cooked to medium rare in a hot pan with a touch of olive oil,  seasoned with salt (and pepper if you like) and allowed to rest 5 minutes before carving. 
The tender chewiness of the hanger steak, the garlicky creaminess of the beans, and the crunch from the roll made a fantastic and filling sandwich.
Try this the next time you need a quick yet filling meal.
Note: This also makes an easily portable picnic or lunch item, still delicious at room temperature.

2 comments:

Lynda @ TasteFood said...

I love the creativity here. This sounds delicious.

RocknRollGourmet said...

Thank you, and thanks for stopping by!