Friday, July 23, 2010

Rooftop Dining

While the weather during the day is still rather frightful (read above 90º and frequently humid) some nights have been blessedly cool (only 81º!) and that means picnicking on the roof!

And no, I'm not sneaking up there. We happen to be lucky enough to live in a building with a finished roof. This is a first for me in my NYC dwelling, and it makes me somewhat absurdly happy.

So does this!
The proper way to start a roof picnic is with margaritas and guacamole. (Since the hubs won't touch guac, it was all mine!) It contained the usual suspects: ripe avocados, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, diced shallot or red onion, minced jalapeño (seeded), diced tomato, salt, and chopped fresh cilantro.

The key to the margarita is of course good silver tequila, lots of fresh lime juice, and salt, with a bit of cointreau and agave nectar to taste.

For the food I tried to keep it fairly simple.
Step one: cook two chicken breasts. I just used some shallot (left over from making the guacamole) and salt for seasoning. (I did this ahead of time so I could make dinner in 5 minutes when we were ready to hit the roof.)
Now the fun part.

I set down two slices of prosciutto, and layered fresh mozzarella and 3-4 fresh basil leaves.
Place the cooked chicken breasts on top and wrap the prosciutto around.

Place them cheese-side UP in a medium-high nonstick skillet. Leave them there for about two minutes to allow the prosciutto to seal itself to the chicken (and crisp a bit.) Then flip.
When the cheese has just started to ooze and melt you know the second side is done as well.

For the veg I diced a bit of bacon, crisped it up and added frozen peas and a splash of water. Three minutes after adding the peas, it was done.
Now to the roof!

The hubs kindly cut into his so I could take a picture.
Wow does natural light make a difference!
And I shall leave you with a little more natural light.
Beautiful.





No comments: